I have been listening to a lot more music recently.
I usually have my own playlists and rarely rely on AI generated lists based on my “taste”. I mostly listen to rock music, going from 60’s/70’s rock classics, heavy metal, a little bit of progressive and symphonic/melodic metal.
I saw a playlist on my music streaming service called “Swords & Sorcery” and gave it a try. I ended up discovering cool metal bands and songs and immediately created my own “Epic Metal” curated playlist. For some reason this playlist is now my “work mode” soundtrack: I listen to it when I need to do deep work and it puts me in the zone!
Some of my favourites discoveries were:
- The HU: Mongolian heavy metal => loved the deep vocals (Mongolian throat singing) and traditional instrumentation translated to metal.
- Spellblast: Italian Folk/Power Metal => reminds me of Rhapsody of Fire, loved the vocals and folk influences.
- Wind Rose: another Italian Progressive/Power Metal/ Folk Metal band => it’s more on the heavier side because of lots of guttural vocals but they have some songs I enjoyed. It’s also a genre I never knew existed: Dwarf Metal!!
- Korpiklaani: Folk Metal from Finland => most of the songs are in Finnish and a nice combination of heavy guitars/vocals with folk rhythms.
- Glittertind: Viking/Folk Metal (early); Indie/Folk Rock (later) => they don’t seem to be active anymore, but the early albums seem to focus on old Norwegian folksongs.
Favorite Songs (from the discovered bands or bands I already knew):
- Wind Rose – Diggy Diggy Hole
- Wind Rose – The Returning Race
- The HU – Yuve Yuve Yu
- The HU – Wolf Totem
- TYR – Regin Smidur (Faroese Metal!) => the vocalist Heri Joensen even has a video teaching Faroese with this song!
- Spellblast – Goblins’ Song
- Ensiferum – Lai Lai Hei (Epic Folk Metal from Finland)
- Korpiklaani – Mettänpeiton Valtiaalle
- Glittertind – Rolandskvadet