It’s week 22 of 2017 and I looked back to see what I have been reading this year. Clearly I was hooked by the Outlander series because it’s sooo good! But I read a couple of thought-provoking titles too. Here goes my highlighted titles:
The “Read” list since January 2017:
- I Hate the Internet by Jarett Kobek: this was a fun book, full of dark sarcasm about the digital world but I am sure I didn’t understand half the jokes. It’s full of San Francisco references.
- Tubes: A Journey to the Center of the Internet by Andrew Blum: I’ve been curious to read this book for years. It’s interesting half way through and then it becomes too long. The author likes to describe everything in detail, but apart from that, it was nice to understand the physical aspects of the Internet.
- Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Gabaldon: one of my favorites books so far! Check my thoughts about it here.
- Voyager (Outlander #3) by Diana Gabaldon: another one that goes to my favorites lists. This book is different from the previous one. It has more action, travel and … pirates!
- Some Thoughts About Relationships by Colin Wright: I really enjoyed this one! It brings rational advice about love and relationships with a sensible touch.
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers: I have mixed feeling about this one. It’s a “feel-good” light sci-fi heavily character driven. The theme is great, the world building is impressive but the plot was too loose for my taste. Highlight to the depiction of different sentient races living together, with cultural and biological differences.
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love by Cal Newport: This book makes an interesting argument: “Don’t follow your passion!”. It’s much better to master skills first and then that will lead you to a passionate career or life. It’s a good read!
And what is next?
I have these books on my radar for future reads:
- The 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Anger, and Impulsiveness by Daniel G. Amen
- Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) by Diana Gabaldon
❤ What did you think? If you liked this post, please recommend it!